Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Get uncomfortable. Volunteer for something new.

This past winter I was doing some research for Stone Soup Food pantry trying to find ideas for programs to offer our community.
I came across many cool programs for kids that dealt with cooking and nutrition.
I thought,  "what a great idea!" Let's get kids excited about eating healthy! Since I couldn't find anything like that already being offered in Lapeer I decided to give it a try.

Of course I've never in my life led a class about nutrition or cooking. But with all the resources available on the Internet I figured I'd give it a shot.

Just a few searches and anyone can get a basic understanding about almost anything. It's great. And with a little more time you can become a mini expert on a subject.

I put some time in on the Internet and came up with all sorts of resources,  ready made lessons, and printables.
Then I called the local library to arrange an evening to hold the class. The library took care of promoting it and soon I was taking calls from parents wanting to register their kids.

My first class was this past Tuesday and you know what?  It was a lot of fun!
The kids were excited and into the lesson and I can't wait for the next class.

Who knew it could be so much fun teaching kids how to eat healthy.

Is there something you have been wanting to do but you feel you aren't qualified?  Just try it!  Get involved in your community connecting with others by trying something new.

Maybe you could sit and paint with the elderly at a nursing home, or even just go and paint some ladies nails!  Believe me they will love it!

Maybe you could try helping out at a local food pantry. Volunteer at a local animal shelter or school.

Get creative. Find out what's missing in your town and see what you can do.

Remember it only takes a small act to shine a bright light in your community.

No comments:

Post a Comment