Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Doing something awesome



One day of our mission trip we went to a place that works with the men of the community to rehabilitate homes while training the men with new work skills.
I was very impressed with the organization.
When we arrived the pastor say us down and played a video for us called Pep Talk by Kid President.

Maybe you've heard of Kid President, but I had not.
I enjoyed the video a lot.
You can watch it here if you like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gQLqv9f4o

My favorite part in the video is when Kid President reads a line from Robert Frost's poem titled The Road Not Taken.
Kid President says, "two roads diverged in the woods and I took the road less traveled...And it hurt man! Really bad! Rocks!, Thorns, glass.....Not cool Robert Frost!

I watched that and I laughed. That line sums up my experience in this life.
It sums up 11 years of working with homelessness, the mission trip...A lot of my experience as a follower of Christ.

Philippians 2:12 is says "work out your salvation with fear and trembling,
It is work.
It's hard hard work. It takes a lot of uncomfortableness. It takes enormous patience.
It's clear why we don't like to do it.
It's no fun.

To make real change to have people really notice a difference in us the difference that Jesus talks about the kind that got him killed and his followers tortured that kinda difference takes enormous effort.

Diligence. Day in and day out focused attention.
Instead we settle for what the world tells us is acceptable.

We buy into the lie that it should be easy or at least not too hard.
If it's uncomfortable if it's causing us stress or taking too much time then we are told we should reconsider.

But, people are dying and going to hell.
People are suffering.
Hungry and sick.

I know I need to wake up.
I know I need to get on my knees before God and get out there and serve.
I know it's going to be hard too.
I think even harder than I care to admit.

In fact, Jesus showed us just how hard it is. Unto death kinda hard.
He even says this,
Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

That sounds hard.

We hold the weighty responsibility of doing something awesome.
Not just because but because there is a God.
A God who loves us and compels us to love each other.

Let's love enough to do something hard,
something uncomfortable,
something truly awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment